Another month, another goal accomplished. Last month, I fully funded my individual 401k for 2008 and this month I fully funded my Roth IRA for 2008. I was able to do this a few days before the tax filing deadline. Now all I have to do is work on funding my retirement accounts for 2009. And all of my other goals of course.
Personal Finance Goals
- Fully fund 2008 Individual 401k ($8,207.00/$8,207.00) – Completed in March.
- Fully fund 2008 Roth IRA ($5,000/$5,000) – I just barely funded my Roth IRA before the tax filing deadline. Now it’s time to focus on funding my 2009 accounts.
- Fully fund 2009 Individual 401k ($0/$2,816.00) – Now that my 2008 retirement accounts are fully funded, I will begin funding my 2009 retirement accounts. I haven’t decided if I will start contributing immediately, or if I will build up a buffer of $5,000 or $10,000 before I fund my retirement accounts. I have a full year to fund these accounts, so my only hurry would be to try to invest while the market is still depressed. I suppose you will find out next month. My Individual 401k account goal for 2009 will increase every month as I earn more self-employed income.
- Fully fund 2009 Roth IRA ($0/$5,000) – As soon as I finish funding my Roth IRA with my 2008 contributions, I will try to fund this account as soon as possible. The goal is to invest as much as possible while the stock market is still depressed.
Alternative Income Goals
- Turn blogging into a source of income – I have not done a whole lot of work to turn blogging into a source of income this month. I was screwed over by google with their ad service over a year ago. None of the other ad services have proven to be very effective. Most of my money making opportunities will come from affiliate marketing. So far I have earned $100 through affiliate marketing, which is already enough to cover the $35 for my first year of hosting and the domain name. My overall goal is $565, which also covers my new laptop.
- Increase monthly page views and subscribers – I haven’t done a very good job promoting my blog this month. For this reason, my daily page views and subscribers were stagnant. My monthly page views, however, increased from 940 to 1,089. I have to dedicate more time to submitting to carnivals and writing guest posts. By the end of the year I will try to host a carnival or two as well.
- Replace tutoring income through a company with my own personal clients – I have made no attempts at tutoring on my own. I do not plan on attempting to tutor on my own until the school year begins in August. I also might try to supplant my tutoring income with a few different opportunities. I will go into these opportunities in an upcoming post.
- Travel to two cities I’ve never been to – I don’t currently have any plans set in stone for traveling to two new cities, but it is still early. I do have a tentative weekend for a trip to Atlanta to see my Braves dominate the Phillies and Mets in September. The second city might be DC, Cleveland or somewhere in Mexico.
- Get in shape – So getting in shape has definitely started lagging behind and not for a lack of motivation. I just keep hurting myself when I run. On top of that, my bike has a flat tire. I will get my bike fixed this weekend and I just bought rollerblades to give me another consistent option. I have been lifting rather consistently and I have started to notice a difference in my strength, but that doesn’t really help me lose the weight that I want to. I really have to find a way to run though as that is where my passion lies.
It feels really good to be completing goals one after the other. I will continue to work hard on them so I can accomplish every single one. The most difficult one will probably be the get in shape goal as I somehow always manage to hurt myself. Until next month. Keep striving to meet your goals and I will be doing the same.